Monday, December 15, 2008

Being a bitch sometimes pays off

Today I had an all out battle with my RE's office. It was me vs them and I was not going to let them win! I called bright and early to schedule my ultrasound since the DR said that today would be day 3 since Friday I was not heavy flow all day. No biggy! I call and get the office manager who must have been having a bad day and decided to take it out on me. She tried to tell me that I needed to go on BCP for a week while we waited approval from the insurance company. I quickly put my foot down. I have never had to wait a week to get an approval from my insurance company I said. What can I do to expedite this? Nothing! she said back in a nasty tone of voice. I will put the request in, in the next 5 minutes but that is all I can do. We hung up the phone and I called my insurance company. The girl informed me that an approval request can take up to 24-48 hours but that the RE's office could call in and try to get an exception if I had an appointment today. I quickly called my RE's office back to tell the manager what the insurance company had told me. Before I could even take a breath she replied back that's what they always say, but they never do it. So are you not willing to call I asked. No she said in a very stern tone. I was taken back for a second. I could not believe she would not even consider calling for me. You would think that what I was asking for was a big deal. We hung up the phone and I cried for a good hour or so. I could not believe that this is how my RE's office would treat a patient. What have I ever done to be treated like this. Patrick begged me to call the insurance company back and see if there was any other options for me. The girl that picked up my call was the nicest woman I have ever spoken to. She could tell that I had been crying and said she was going to help remedy this matter. I could tell by the way that she was speaking to me that she really meant it. She told me she would call me as soon as the request from my RE was in the system. And an hour later when she called back I could tell she was working hard to get my approval. The only thing I had to wait for was for a nurse at the insurance company to sign off. This amazing girl walked my insurance paperwork through the entire approval process just to help out a stranger. She even called the nurses to see about having my insurance request pushed ahead. I could not believe that this woman was willing to do all of this just to help me. With approval number in hand I said my goodbye's and thanked this girl for all of her hard work. When I called my RE's office with the approval number and what I consider good news they did not seem as excited as I was. The rude office manager seemed more pissed off that I was able to accomplish this then anything. She scheduled my appointment for 2:30 but then proceeded to tell me that I need to bring $200 to pre pay my insemination cycle this month. I wanted to curse her out but instead I said see you at 2:30!

When I arrived at my appointment I was filled with anxiety. Was I now hated by the office for pushing so hard to get what I want. Was I wrong for not wanting to skip this month. I began second guessing myself. But I walked into the office and put on a happy smile like everything was great. Every glance that I got from anyone on the staff made me question if I even wanted to deal with this RE's office any more. I was then called back to the ultrasound room and the first thing out of my RE's mouth when she walked in was "Are you really gonna make me work on Christmas?" No I said. If all goes as planned my IUI date should be either Friday or Saturday. Christmas is on Thursday so I think we will be ok. Besides I'm Jewish so Christmas is really not that big of a deal to me. The look on her face was priceless. It was a cross between did you really just way that to me and are you the devil? I laid on the table and she said well as long as you have no cysts I guess we are good to start your cycle. I could see where she was going with this. She was going to bullshit me and tell me I had a cyst just to get out having to go forward with this cycle. How do you know the difference between a cyst and a follicle I asked. Anything over 10mm would be a cyst since you are only on CD 3 anything under is a follicle. I watched as she counted and measured 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 I watched the entire thing and saw nothing over 5mm but I waited for her to lie. I think she could see that on my face so she replied well you have 5 follicles. I guess we are good to start. I could see she was not to happy with me. But I have been at this for far to long to let Christmas get in my way! I don't really feel like I was wrong for taking control of the situation like I did. I just don't think some people understand when not to get in the way of a woman on a mission. Truth be told I think I handled this headache pretty gracefully. I am sick of being pushed around and made to feel like I am not important. I pay to much money to my RE to be made to feel like just some piece of sh*t.

3 comments:

Chele said...

Good for you Amy! FX that this is it for you and you never have to deal with that office again.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? You pay way too much to be treated like that!! Are there any other RE options around you? Hopefully this is your cycle!

TuTu's Bliss said...

Hugs!! I always have to remind people..you are the boss of your body and your health. Medicine is a business and you are the customer. WAY TO GO!!
My doctor kept telling me my thyroid meds were fine, researched it myself, they were not. I pushed and pushed aske him to "humor me" with a second opinion. Dr. #2 chewed him out, increased my dose and Dr.#1 fired me :) Oh Well!