Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How can people be so nasty!

For those of you who don't know, I work in real estate. The company I have worked for over the past 4 years only has 3 employees. My boss, me and Patrick. My boss Chuck spends his day's BSing with builders, clients and looking for potential clients, Patrick is our realtor (although this is not his full time job his second job is in collections) and I run everything! I handle our clients, overseeing construction of new projects (rehabs), rentals, scouting new homes, you name it, I do it. So anyway back to my point of all this. About 2 months ago Chuck had a friend of a friend that needed somewhere to live. I try to make it a point not to mix business & friends as it always ends up bad. The only place I had that was vacant was a mid rise condo that we rent as a vacation rental. Since it is located right on the strip and I had fully furnished it. I really did not like the idea of renting it to someone that was trying to make it there permanent home. But against my better judgement I was talked into it. The girl that moved in (we will call her Heather) came packed with just her clothing. I walked through the property with her and she was impressed with my decorating skills. Complimenting me on having such great taste. I went over the lease with her and she signed it. But when I asked to collect her check from her she suddenly remembered that she forgot her check book and would have to meet with me or Chuck later on that day. I called Chuck as I did not want to leave without a check since it was just not how I operated. He convinced me that he would pick it up from her later. So I handed her the keys and let her know that I refused to list her on the gate (the property is guard gated and no one can come in without being on the gate list) until I received payment and left. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was going to go wrong. For days I repeatedly asked Chuck if he received the rental payment from Heather and each day I go the same answer. He called and I called we even both stopped by but she was never there or at least never answered the door. Finally Chuck meet with her and she gave him half of what she owed for October but by now we were one week into November. She promised that I would have the money by the 12th but when the 12th came and went I still had not received anything from her. So Chuck and I had a meeting and decided enough was enough so we posted a 5 day pay or quit on the door. And when the 18th (today) rolled around and she had not called or paid we went over to change the locks. We approached the door and could smell a foul odder. What it was I have no clue and hope to never find out. I walked in first and all I could hear beneath my feet was slush slush. I could tell there was water under my feet. Chuck hit the lights and you could hear both of us gasps, I had never seen anything so nasty in my life. Do you hear that I said? The shower is running. Chuck called out, Heather are you here. No one answered back. We backed out of the condo and closed the door. We decided to wait for security to come as we did not know what we were walking into.

Security showed up and walked the condo. They came out 5 minutes later and gave us the all clear to walk in. The shower in the master bathroom was plugged up and left running. It must have been running for a good week as it had soaked every inch of flooring throughout all 1100 sq feet of the condo. All I could do was cry. Plants were destroyed glass was broken, condoms were on the floor. It was like nothing I had ever seen. I walked towards the guest room when the security guard yelled don't be alarmed it is just ketchup. I turned the corner and what looked like blood was dumped all over everything from the walls to the carpet. She even tried to set the bed on fire. My heart broke. Was this an act of vandalism or was she just this nasty. On the kitchen counter was a piece of paper rolled up like a straw. And when I looked at the counter there was white powder on it. Could drugs have played a roll in why they destroyed my clients condo? Who knows at this point. All I do know is that I am so disappointed in myself for not going with my gut on this one. Usually if I am really adamant about something Chuck knows it is for a valid reason and to just agree with me. But in this situation I let someone convince me otherwise. I spent a month decorating that condo. I designated my weekends to the rehab of the kitchen and flooring. I practically lived there for the month that construction was taking place. I hand picked the granite counters, travertine flooring and carpet. I hung TV's put furniture together this project was my baby. I had a plan to buy as many of the bank owned units as my investors could afford in this building, and rent them as vacation rentals since I had such a great response from this one unit. And in five seconds flat all of my hard work was destroyed. To make matters worse when I went to the security gate to inform the guard not to let anyone other then me on premise for our unit he replied you not Amy ... I know her and you are not her. I had to pull out my drivers licence and prove to him who I was. I guess the only way she could get in to the complex was by saying she was me. After I meet with the security guards the neighbor across the hall came over to talk to me and filled me in on something I found real interesting. Heather was a prostitute. From what the neighbor told me she had men in and out of the apartment all day and night. I guess my condo was her little hooker hideaway. The neighbor said she was unsure at first but overheard Heather in the hallway one night discussing prices, With a man that this neighbor recognized right away as a once famous boxer. I can not believe that these things were going on in one of my properties. I have always been a very picky landlord specifically for these reason. I never wanted to be a slum lord and I never wanted these kind of tenants. In my 6 years in this business 4 years of running Chuck's company I have had such a great success rate as far as tenants go. Not to say that I have never had nasty tenants but never anything close to this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks! I'm sorry all your hard work was destroyed :(

Lynn Page said...

Amy, that is just the worst of the worst!! Who the H*LL does something like that... prostitute or not, have SOME decency. I feel so bad for you and all that hard work gone to waste! What a B****!!

Chele said...

OMG! Amy that is just awful. I agree with everything Lynn said. I'm so sorry.

Everytime I've gone against my gut something bad has happened so I don't go against it anymore no matter what.