Monday, July 27, 2009

What a mess

I went to the Peri's office to do my twice weekly monitoring and ultrasound to check on the cord. Gage still has it around his neck and from the looks of it he was trying to chew his way through it. Thankfully he has no teeth so that's not going to happen. I was put on the monitor at 9:45 a.m. and after 15 minutes of listening to his heartbeat the nurse came in to check the printout. Her actions made me nervous as she studied the paper. He must be asleep, hmmmm lets give you some juice and see if that wakes him up. She left the room and returned a few moments later with apple juice and a buzzer. First lets try to buzz him and see if he moves. She made three attempts and he didn't even flinch. Well I'm sure the juice will get him going. Drink it as fast as you can and I will be back shortly. She exited the room leaving me to think something must be wrong. 45 minutes went by and no one came to check on me. By this time I was a nervous wreck and in tears calling my mother begging her to come to the office and wait with me. Another 15 minutes later and with my mom on the road heading my way the nurse returned. She again studied the printout and excused herself. By this time I was sure something was not right. Another nurse returned and asked me how long I had been having contractions. I'm not having contractions I replied. I have been having period like cramps off and on for the past week but every time I came in and asked the Dr if that was contractions he told me no, it was just the babies big head on my pelvis. Well sure enough I was having contractions and they were pretty close together. They immediately took me into an exam room and did a fibronectin test and checked my cervix. I am officially 80% effaced and not dilated. To combat the contractions I was put on Procardia and then sent home to over analyze every cramp, twinge or lack of movement. The Procardia makes me feel like crap and I can still feel the cramps. But when the nurse called to give me the results of the fibronectin test and I informed her of that she just acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. On the up side the test came back negative. On the down side I now have no clue if I should worry or not. I let the nurse know that Gage was still not moving around and her answer to me was if his movements slow down any more to go L&D. I quickly said well whats slower then nothing??? And her answer was well you'll know. So great now I get to be worried and become a psychic? I mean I know my body but I can not guess whats going on. If only I had x-ray vision. My mom has spent the remainder of my day by my side taking care of me and making sure I was ok. She finally got to see first hand how big of a group or idiots I'm dealing with. So that's my update for now. The procardia is kicking my ass and I need to lay down but I will make sure to update when I have more news. For now lets hope that the fibronectin test was right and I am not going to g into labor in the next 2 weeks. But my luck it will be wrong and he will be here before I can blink.

6 comments:

Chele said...

Amy, I wish I was in Nevada and could be there for you.

Juice never ever worked for me to get Derek moving. I can't tell you how many stress tests I had in L&D my third trimester because his movement had slowed. The only thing that worked to wake him up was a coke or Pepsi. Gage will more than likely be a laid back baby like Derek was when he is born.

Jake on the otherhand moved so much my third trimester that he gave me what my doctor called motion sickness. I never had m/s with him so the motion sickness at the end of the pregnancy was not a happy ailment. He was my baby that NEVER slept and was always active. He still doesn't require the same amount of sleep as the rest of us. lol

My biggest concern for you is that you will go into active labor with the cord still around Gage's neck. As for his movements.....listen to your momma instinct. If you don't think he has moved much, try the soft drink, if that doesn't work, head for L&D. Try to remember to write down the time when you feel any movement.

When do you next see your OB? Hopefully, he will have more suggestions or answers.

Hang in there, lots of us are sending you and Gage +++++ thoughts and prayers.

shell said...

Oh Amy , HUGS girl!!
I have people praying for you and baby :-)

Please keep us updated as to anything new ! I keep checking in to see how you are !

Lauren said...

You're right, those nurses are tools. "Whats slower than nothing?" "You'll know." WTF?!!

I'm still praying that everything turns out okay. (((hugs)))

Amy said...

Chele Thank you. I did try a chocolate shake last night and he seemed to enjoy that. But for obvious reasons I can't have that every day, or can I??? =) I'll try coke today and see if it helps. It's just so odd because he was so active in the beginning. My biggest fear is not only the cord but the blood thinners. They take up to 24 hours to get out of your system and if I go into labor after taking a dose I could be in big trouble. Between the cord his big head and all of the other trouble factors, I am now thinking I should opt for a c-section. My biggest concern is making sure Gage is ok. And if that means I have to suffer or have extra pain after I'll take it for the safety of knowing he's going to be fine.

My next appointment with the OB is Monday morning. But if the Procardia keeps making me feel the way I do I'm going to see if he can get me in any sooner. For now I go back to the Peri on Thursday for another ultrasound and to be put on the monitor. I will make sure to keep you posted on what's going on.

Amy said...

Shell - Thank you. We could really use the extra prayers right now.

Lauren - Thank you as well.

I will make sure to update as soon as I have any new news. Thank you girls for all of your support I really appreciate it.

Lynn Page said...

Amy, I am sooooo flippin sorry!!! This has got to be very nerve wracking for you! Just keep faith, and remember that everything will be ok. Gage will be ok and that in the end all of this will be worth it.

I'm sorry that you seem to be dealing with doctors who seem to excel in lack of communication.

My heart goes out to you momma. If there's anything I can do let me know!!!!