Monday, October 13, 2008

What would you do???

The company that Patrick works for is being bought out by a big fortune 500 company, with over 6 thousand employees. That's great news for us because we were informed that once the deal is complete our insurance will be amazing as will be the employee benefits (sick/vacation days ...etc) Currently an IUI cycle through our current insurance company costs us $180 in co pays for the insemination alone plus an additional 1k for all of the medications. If it were only a one time thing it would not be such a big deal but now that we are going to be trying for our 2nd IUI it's starting to get pricey. Also now that my RE and I have decided on upping my meds as to produce more eggs I know we are looking at an additional $300 minimally. If the insurance through the new company is as good as everyone has been telling us, we could be looking at paying nothing for our medications. So here is my dilemma, today is CD 26 and I am 6 DPO I have a pretty good feeling that this is not going to be our month. With AF's impending arrival I need to make a decision fast. So I need to know what would you do, wait it out for the new insurance or go for it and fork out the $1,500?

4 comments:

Chele said...

First you need to find out if the new insurance has a waiting period for infertility.

You also need to find out what the infertility coverage covers. Even though it's a bigger company with better insurance, doesn't mean the infertility coverage is better.

My dh has worked for Fortune 500 companies the last 15 years and they all have amazing affordable health insurance for normal things, but they have varied drastically in what was covered under their infertility plans. The company chooses the infertility plan and not all companies are as generous with infertility coverage as they are with the other coverages.

You need to also ask HR if your infertility problems will be considered a pre-existing condition. They can't do this by law with pregnancies but they can with infertility or any other disease.

If I had the money, I would probably go through with the IUI this cycle. This would give you more time to investigate the new insurance and it's coverage.

Everything is crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

You need to find out what the new ins*r*nce will cover. There is no guarantee that it would even cover infertility treatments, unless you live in a st*te that has mandatory IF l*ws.

At my previous em*l*y*r, no IF treatments were covered at all. When I changed j*bs, I discovered that IUIs were fully covered! No other IF treatments were covered though... I was extremely excited that at the very least they covered IUIs.

I found it interesting that they also covered ab*rt**ns. If they hadn't covered IUIs, I probably would've raised h*ll.

Being a fortune 5OO company doesn't guarantee IF coverage. While the b*nefits are often fabulous, IF coverage always costs more and it's an easy way to save money for a c*mp*ny that wants to cut corners, while providing other excellent b*nefits.

Your DH should be able to request info on the new b*nefits package. If you need help reading it, I can explain it to you easily. It's what I do. ;)

Amy said...

Chele & Candi,

The biggest issue about the company being bought out is that they are not announcing who the new company taking over is until after everything is complete. So I will have no info on the insurance until that time as well. You girls are right though because there could be a waiting period or no infertility coverage. I never thought about that! So I guess with that in mind I will have no other choice but to go for it this month. I would rather be safe then sorry. Ahhhhhh if it's not one thing it's another. Thank you both for helping me make my decision. And Candi if you don't mind, as soon as I get the info on the new insurance I would love your help going over it. Insurance talk it gibberish to me. Thank you both again for all of your help. I don't know what I would do without you!

Anonymous said...

I say go for it because you just never know with the new insurance and if they don't cover infertility or have a waiting period then you will be upset with yourself.. Good luck in what ever you choose! You in my thoughts and prayers!!!