Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first trip to L&D

Yep that's right I did something really stupid and landed myself in Labor and Delivery. So here is the story ...

Saturday night I get a call from my cousin to go bowling. Thinking nothing of it Patrick and I decide to go. Originally I decided not to play but somehow get talked into it. I finish my first game with the best score I have ever received in bowling a 143. ( I know not good but for me, I usually never break 100) then we start the second game I make it 3 frames in and start getting super exhausted. By the end of the 10th frame I am in pain. My back is clicking like something is rubbing and I just hurt all over. Patrick and I go home and go to sleep, and when I wake in the morning I can barely walk. Everything hurts and all I wanted to so way lay in bed. My pelvis is super swollen and even doing something as simple as going to the bathroom to tinkle hurts like hell. Patrick convinces me I must just be sore since it has been 3 months since I had gone bowling previously. So I spend the day in bed. The following morning I am still hurting pretty bad. So I make the call to my OB who quickly tells me to go to L&D to have my back & pelvis checked out. We arrive I get checked in and hooked up to a monitor, my OB comes down to check on my and tells me that the cartilage in my back must have bent alittle and that is the cause of the clicking in my back. As for my pelvis, just the act of bowling itself must have irritated it. The nurse informs me that during pregnancy your body secrets a hormone that softens the cartilage in your body to help the baby pass through your pelvis and the birth canal. Had I known that before I would have opted out of bowling. They give me a shot of morphine and send me on my way. By the time we reach my house I am completely drugged out of my head and can barely make it up the steps to my room. By 5:30 p.m. I am completely passed out only to wake this morning at 10:30. I have been in and out of sleep for most of the day. And that is my exciting story for the day =)

0 comments: