Thursday, May 21, 2009

Am I overreacting?

A friend of Patrick's is having a baby with his wife. This will make baby number 2 for them. There first is only 2 years old and is a boy, and the one on the way is a boy as well. The wife is not the most friendly of people, and I have tried on numerous occasions to befriend her since our husbands use to be such good friend. But she never reciprocated, and I gave up on trying. At the time there first child was born they decided to have a co-ed baby shower since the wife really has no female friend other then her sister in law and well that's pretty much it. Patrick attended the shower while I was out of town for work and in his excitement spent over $200 buying a bunch of stuff from there registry. No biggy since they were his friends. Two years later we have not been invited to ANY of there son's birthday parties and Patrick has pretty much lost contact with the friend. They speak at most every 3-6 months if that.

Well yesterday I went to check the mail and saw an invite to there baby shower. It completely pissed me off. 1. Because I think it's kind of greedy to register for gifts and have a baby shower when this is your second child, and they are so close together in age. And 2. Why would you invite me to your shower when A) your not my friend and B) our husbands don't even talk any more. Am I being totally ridiculous?

11 comments:

Shawna said...

Not at all Amy! That's annoying and very rude!

Anonymous said...

Nope! This is why I hate showers and crap... I get invited to go to stuff for people I barely know or barely speak to anymore! I know I'm only being invited for a gift and it makes me resentful! Grrr... send your regrets... along with an invite to YOUR baby shower :) See if she comes... she "owes" you... LOL!

Chele said...

It's rude and annoying, but I wouldn't get myself all worked up about it. They don't seem worth it to me.

I totally don't get having two baby showers when the babies are the same sex and so close together. If there was a big age gap them I would understand it.

I'd send my regrets and see what happens.

Lauren said...

No, I'm with you. Tell her to suck it.

Lauren said...

You shouldn't even have a second shower when your kids AREN'T close together. Baby showers are strictly for first children. That's just the way it is.

Allison said...

I had 2 showers but only because my kids were 10 years apart and of a different sex. I will not have any other showers because my youngest is 1 and we are TTC again. She should not have a shower if this child is also a boy and her 1st is only 2. I wouldnt go for that reason and she isn't your friend. Toss the invite and forget it...

Amy said...

Thank you girls, Patrick had me thinking I was just being bitchy, but that is totally not it. I definitely feel that if the kids are far apart in age then it's ok but not when they are the same sex and within two years of one another. I was thinking I might have felt differently had it been a friend of mine but I really don't. It's a super greedy thing to do. And only adds insult when we are not friends.

Emmalie said...

I agree with everyone as well.You shouldn't have a shower for a second child so close in age and then to invite someone who you don't even talk to! I wouldn't go and I wouldn't worry about sending a gift. I hate getting invites to showers for people I barely know. Just out of curiousity- will you be inviting her to yours? Might be interesting to see how she responds :)

Amy said...

Emmalie, I wasn't planning on inviting her although I would love to see how she responds. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a minute to see if it is even worth the bother. ;)

Lucky Jones said...

No, I think showers should be for first time moms. That goes double for 1st time wives and bridal showers....

To A T said...

Not overreacting at ALL! I would be pissed too. It's kind of like she is just asking you to buy something for her and then will write you off again. I would just toss the invite and forget about it!